NEWS + ADVICE
Tips to Polish Your Resume Before the WiCys Career Fair from Fidelity
CyberSecJobs.com is proud to partner with the Women in Cyber Security (WiCyS) Conference to produce the WiCyS 2018 Career Fair. The Career Fair will run both days of the conference, March 23-24, 2018.
WiCyS Conference attendees will be considered for career opportunities by some of the best tech companies around. The week prior to the event a Job Seeker Handbook profiling each company and their open positions will be available online so you can research and plan your strategy.
Consider polishing your resume up a bit using these tips from Christine Cantu, Recruiter at Fidelity Investments.
Tip 1: Your Resume should be clear and easy to read
- Use the same font throughout
- Do not use multiple text sizes in the body of your resume
Information Technology Security Specialist, ACME Corporation, June 2017 – present
Develop, implement, monitor and support information systems security programs.
- IT security specialist with a demonstrated talent for successfully aligning security architecture, plans, controls, processes, policies and procedures with security standards and operational goals.
Information Technology Security Specialist, ACEM Corporation. June 2017 – present. Develop, implement, monitor and support information systems security programs. IT security specialist with a demonstrated talent for successfully aligning security architecture, plans, controls, processes, policies and procedures with security standards and operational goals.
Tip 2: Use consistent verb tenses
- Current role = current tense
Example: Plan, direct and coordinate network-related projects and multidisciplinary teams.
- Past roles = past tense
Example: Developed and launched enterprise-wide software-distribution system.
Tip 3: Use action verbs/power words to describe experiences/skills. Examples:
- Created user requirements analysis, design and programming support for enhancement of Web application accessed by 5 million users worldwide, reducing help desk calls by 23%.
- Designed a new web application using HTML, CSS, and AngularJS resulting in end-user efficiency and a 12% reduction in overhead expenses.
Bottom Line – ask yourself:
- Can a recruiter or Hiring Manager easily view my main credentials within 10 to 15 seconds?
- Does critical information jump off the page?
- Do I effectively sell myself on the top quarter of the first page?
Recruiters review many resumes so the easier your resume is to read, the better you present your credentials, the more opportunity you have for them to fully understand your story. Prepare. Refine. Then check out opportunities with Fidelity when you’re in Chicago.This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 12:13 am