NEWS + ADVICE
Start Your New Job on the Right Foot
Follow these steps for success in your new cyber security position.
1. Thank those who helped you get here. Tell your network about your new position and thank them for the support they provided you. Continue to nurture and make contact with the ties that you’ve built.
2. Be punctual. Be on time, or even arrive a bit early, whether that’s for an online call or an in-person meeting. It sets a good starting example that you’re dependable and enthusiastic.
3. Dress appropriately. Whether you’re working from home or at a client site, find out what’s appropriate for your new company. Take a cue from what you saw in interviews, and ask your recruiter or hiring manager for their advice.
4. Define expectations with your new manager. Communicate with your manager to define what success looks like and what is expected of you in these first months. Develop goals for the first 60 days to ensure expectations are met.
5. Build relationships. Make an effort to get to know your co-workers and your manager. Show them that you’re a team player and genuinely interested in learning more about them.
6. Listen more, talk less. You’re the new kid on the block, so take the time to listen attentively and ask questions. For now listen and learn. The time will come when you can make a contribution.
7. Be accountable. Hold to your commitments and promises. If it’s not possible to deliver on your obligations, communicate early as to why.
8. Check and double-check your work and communications. Impressions form quickly so take an extra moment to be sure you’re delivering your best work.
9. Drop one bad habit. This is your chance to shed one bad habit that has been dogging you professionally. Whether that’s being on time for meetings, keeping better notes or being more organized, this is your chance to improve one thing about yourself professionally.
Starting a new job is a big adjustment. No one expects you to know everything from the start. If you set expectations, build relationships and communicate openly, you’ll enjoy newfound success!